Sunday, August 1, 2010

WHAT A MONTH! I AM EPIC FAIL!

Sorry I have been off the radar!  Not a moment could be spared this month for anything but the two projects I wanted to get done. Participating in YouTube/Ridley Scott/Scott McDonalds: Life in a Day project and entering a submission in the YouTube/Guggenheim Biennial event.

For the Guggenheim Biennial event (this story ends tragically by the way) I spent twenty six days working on 'Permanent'. An attempt at 'basic' animation in flash video and an attempt to capture the core ideas behind the 'The Lost Book of Enki' ( a pre-diluvial tale) by scholar/Sumerian tablet translator/author, Zecharia Sitchin.

     I kept, Disney's "The Illusion of Life' beside me ever moment and though I had read it dozens of times over the years none of it was actually meaningful until I started to try and animate. At that point every word in the book was important and I hung on every word as well as watching the live motion version on YouTube.

   I have nothing but respect for animators and was barely able to scratch the surface of techniques like: Squash, stretch, overlapping action, timing, weight, mass, staging, layouts, story development, character design, coloring, effects and above all...Sequential Art.

    So I spent every waking moment I could working on 'Permanent' and on July 31'st, I missed the submission deadline!

    I 'assumed' I would have until midnight on July 31st and it seems the deadline was 'noon' on July 31st.   I have submitted the video anyway and written Guggenheim for mercy and to at least watch it at this point.
   So yeah.  Tragic ending on a fantastic month of learning animation and trying to find my inner Walt Disney.

I need to make a new tee-shirt.   "I AM  EPIC FAIL!"

Life in a Day.  In an attempt to see what this computer could do I participated in 'LIFE IN A DAY" a historic YouTube/Ridley Scott/Scott McDonald project.  I had never done anything like it, nor had I ever worked with video clips to make a project before.   I almost killed my computer trying to encode the final video in HD at 1080p.  I can't say it is anything spactacular at all...but I did it.

So, dear friends.   Quite the busy month for me.

I hope you enjoy PERMANENT and I hope I do not cause you any permanent pain.  If you find yourself disturbed after watching it please consult your clergy, nearest biblical scholar or the Vatican.   I am not trying to be offensive or in the wrong on this take of bibilcal/mythology/history.

--BEST!
Tony Tuthill

No comments:

Post a Comment